Care Partner Training Class Series
Is It Lewy? Information and Support from the Lewy Body Dementia Association
January 11, 2023
Lewy body dementias (LBD) affect an estimated 1.4 million individuals in the United States. Though many families are affected by this disease, few individuals and medical professionals are aware of the symptoms, diagnostic criteria, or even that LBD exists! Join us to learn more common symptoms, presentations of LBD, and ways to live well going forward.
Brandi Hackett, LMSW, C-ASWCM
Manager of Support Services, Lewy Body Dementia Association
Brandi attained her BA from Shorter College and MSW from the University of Georgia. Since graduating in 2004, she has worked in a variety of settings primarily with older adults. She began her role with the Lewy Body Dementia Association as Manager of Support Services in September 2020 where she supports individuals, care partners, and LBDA volunteers. She is published for her article on “Compassion Fatigue” in the Journal for Certified Senior Advisors and has presented multiple CE classes for allied health professionals.
LBDA Lewy Line - We offer our Lewy Line which is a helpline specifically for those living with LBD and their loved ones. It is also helpful for professionals supporting individuals with LBD or presenting symptoms. LBDA Support Services staff and trained volunteers can provide guidance and resources as well as to connect with support opportunities. https://www.lbda.org/lbda-lewy-line/
You can also reach support through Support@LBDA.org
- Comprehensive LBD Symptom Checklist - https://www.lbda.org/lbd-diagnostic-symptoms-checklist/
- NIH Booklet - https://www.lbda.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/lewy-body-dementia-booklet.pdf
- Comprehensive Treatment Summary - https://www.lbda.org/treatment-options/
- Understanding Behavioral Symptoms - https://www.lbda.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/treatment_of_behavioral_symptoms_2015.pdf
- Care Brief: Medications for behavioral changes - https://www.lbda.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/medications_for_behavioral_changes_in_lbd.pdf
- Medical Alert Card - https://www.lbda.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Medical-Alert-Wallet-Card-PDF-Front-and-Back.pdf
- Rush patient education on LBD by Dr. Jori Fleisher, MD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=dNf5_adaB-I&ab_channel=RushPatientEducation
- Mayo Clinic on Medications for LBD with Boeve - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/blog/dementia-hub/newsfeed-post/lbd-video-series-medications/
- Mayo Clinic on Fluctuations and Hallucinations from Ferman - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/blog/dementia-hub/newsfeed-post/lbd-video-series-fluctuations-hallucinations/
- Talking with Your Doctor Worksheets from NIH - https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/talking-with-doctor-worksheets
- Davis Phinney MD Appt worksheets - https://davisphinneyfoundation.org/parkinsons-worksheets/
Want to know what classes are coming up each month? Sign up for our email list!
Join us in-person or live virtually for an upcoming session!
Take a look at other helpful webinars in the resource library!
"After meeting with you, I've changed my approach in dealing with her memory loss, and my wife and I are so much happier."